Chinese Chili Chicken is a popular Indo-Chinese dish. Thin pieces of pan-fried boneless chicken are coated in a savoury sauce and then tossed in with some green chilies and ginger slices. This dish is addictively spicy!
How To Make Chinese Chili Chicken
- Fry the ginger slices in oil till slightly crispy. Then toast the minced garlic.
- Add the marinated chicken on high heat and cook for couple of minutes only. The chicken cooks very quickly.
- Toss in the bell pepper along with sauces. I used green bell pepper in the pictures and orange ones in the step-by-step instructions above. You can use either.
- Add the deseeded and sliced green chilies. Toss well and turn off heat.
Tips For The Best Chinese Chili Chicken
- Make sure you fry the garlic slices on high heat till they are slightly crispy.
- Do not over cook the chicken or it will toughen up. Thinly sliced chicken just needs a couple of minutes on high heat to be cooked thoroughly.
- You can use whichever colour of bell pepper you prefer. Green just looks better in my opinion paired with green chilies. Again just fry the bell pepper for 2-3 minutes or it will lose its crunch.
- If you love a lot of heat, you can add in the green chilies with seeds. But I recommend deseeding the chilies before adding or the spice will overpower the dish.
Can You Replace The Chicken With Beef
Absolutely! You can substitute the chicken with beef or veal if you want to make Chinese Beef Chili instead.
More Chinese Recipes
Chinese Chili Chicken Dry
- 500 g boneless chicken sliced
- 6-10 green chilies deseeded and sliced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 3 tablespoon ginger sliced
- ½ bell pepper preferably green
- 3 tablespoon cornflour (cornstarch)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ - ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 2 tablespoon regular soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili garlic ketchup
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- In chicken add the black pepper, salt and cornflour. Marinate it for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat oil and add the ginger slices. Fry for 2 minutes till slightly crispy. Then toast the minced garlic till golden.
- Add the chicken and cook on high heat for a couple of minutes only. Don't overcook the chicken.
- When some of the chicken bits start to brown toss in the bell pepper. Cook on high heat for 2 minutes.
- Put the oyster sauce, regular soya sauce, chili garlic ketchup and brown sugar. Stir till everything is well coated with the sauce.
- Throw in the sliced green chilies and fry for another 2 minutes.
- Take out in a serving plate and enjoy.
- After marinating the chicken you can also deep-fry it for a more crispy texture instead of pan-frying it like in the recipe.
- For ‘Beef Chili Dry’ use the same recipe, just replace the chicken with thin slices of beef.
PIN ME FOR LATER