Spicy, tangy and hearty, this Chinese Hot and Sour Soup is a bowl of ultimate comfort. This instant Indo-Chinese recipe comes together in only 15 minutes. All you need are a couple of Asian sauces, vegetables and chicken. You can have it as a side or a full meal for dinner with fish crackers and garlic bread.
Before we bid these cold winters farewell, let me share with you my favourite soup recipe. Among all the soups there are the Chinese Hot and Sour Soup tops the list for me. I remember having it every other day from the street stalls of Pakistan and it used to be the first item I ordered in a Chinese restaurant.
This recipe is very close to the Pakistani-Chinese Hot and Sour Soup that we all love so much. And the best part is it doesn't take so long to make. So if you are suddenly craving for it, all you need are 15 minutes before devouring this bowl of deliciousness.
How To Make Chinese Hot and Sour Soup
- Start with adding the chicken stock to a pot. You can use store-bought chicken broth/stock or dissolve chicken bouillon cubes in water. If you prefer, you can make your own chicken stock from scratch as well.
- On medium heat, bring the stock to a simmer and add all the sauces and spices mentioned in the recipe below.
- Then add the shredded chicken, thinly sliced carrots, bell pepper, cabbage and white part of spring onion. You can also add your choice of vegetables. Some options include mushrooms, green beans, cabbage, bamboo shoots and celery.
- Make a cornflour slurry by mixing cornflour (cornstarch) and water. When the stock starts bubbling thicken the soup with the slurry.
- Pour a whisked egg. Let it settle in the pot and then stir. Simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- In the end, add the green part of the spring onion and serve the soup hot.
How To Prepare The Chicken
Take a chicken breast and put it in a pan. Add a few tablespoons of water along with some freshly chopped ginger, garlic, black pepper and salt. Cook on very low heat till the chicken is cooked through and the water has dried. Let cool and shred. You can also freeze shredded chicken for future use.
How To Make Instant Pickled Chili
This is my version of the vinegar you get served along with soy sauce and chili sauce in Chinese restaurants. Add 1-2 sliced green chili to ¼ cup of vinegar and let sit for 1 hour before serving. Pour a spoonful on top of your soup and enjoy.
Serve this deliciously spicy soup with fish crackers and garlic bread. You can also serve it as a side with a complete Chinese menu. Some ideas to dress up your Chinese table are: the addictively sweet Indo-Chinese Chicken Manchurian, my ultra-favourite Desi Chow Mein, the glorious Sticky Asian Chicken Wings and some Egg Fried Rice.
Can You Make It Vegetarian
Definitely! Skip the meat or replace it with tofu for a vegetarian Chinese Hot and Sour Soup.
Watch How To Make It
More Chinese Recipes
15-Minute Chinese Hot and Sour Soup
- 4 cups chicken stock see note 1
- 125 g chicken boiled and shredded
- ¾ cup carrots sliced thinly
- ¾ green bell pepper sliced thinly
- ½ cup cabbage optional
- 2 spring onions sliced
- 2 tablespoon regular soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon dark soy sauce optional
- 2 tablespoon sriracha or chili sauce
- 2 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chili garlic sauce
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- salt to taste if required
- 1 egg whisked
- 4 tablespoon cornflour (cornstarch) mixed with ¼ cup water
- In a pot, on medium heat bring the stock to a simmer. Add in the regular soy sauce, dark soy sauce, sriracha sauce, vinegar, chili garlic sauce, white pepper, brown sugar and sesame oil. Taste for salt, usually the stock and soy sauces make the soup salty enough.
- Then put in the chicken, carrot, bell pepper, cabbage and white part of spring onion.
- Bring the water to a boil. Then gradually pour the cornflour/cornstarch slurry (cornflour mixed with water) while stirring the soup. Don't add all at once, stop adding when you reach your desired soup consistency.
- Lower the heat, add the egg and let it sit in the pot for 1 minute. Then stir and simmer the soup for 2-3 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and add the green part of the spring onion.
- Serve hot with additional soy sauce, sriracha sauce and vinegar and chili mix on the side.
You can also make your own chicken stock by mixing 2-3 chicken stock cubes in 4 cups of water. Some stock cubes are saltier than the others, so adjust to your liking.
For a vegetarian soup, skip the chicken.
Don't overcook the vegetables or they will get mushy.
- This soup serves 4-6 people.
This post was originally published on March 6, 2019. The recipe has been updated with new pictures, video and detailed instructions. Here is the the old picture: