Nothing can beat homemade Popcorn Chicken! This addicting snack is of course inspired by KFC's famous appetizer. It is crunchy, succulent and very, very addicting. Chunks of boneless chicken are drenched in a mildly spicy batter and deep-fried for a deliciously crispy, flaky finish.
Popcorn Chicken is so irresistible. Don't you agree? And I find it way better than chicken nuggets. This appetizer is a favourite with both adults and kids.
The best part about this recipe is that it is freezer-friendly. Make a whole batch and fry whenever required. Next time you are craving it, no need to rush to KFC.
How To Freeze Homemade Popcorn Chicken
- After dredging the chicken pieces with flour, put them on a tray without touching.
- When they are frozen, transfer to a ziplock bag and freeze for upto 3 months.
- Deep-fry: Simply heat up a pot of neutral oil. Then fry the chicken in batches on medium-high heat.
- Air-fry: Preheat your airfryer. Place the popcorn chicken in a single layer and spray with oil. Cook for 10-15 minutes at 200 C till golden and cooked through. Flip halfway to get an an even colour on them.
- Bake: Preheat the oven. Line the tray with baking sheet and put the popcorn chicken without overcrowding. Spray with oil. Bake at 200 C for 15 minutes, flip over and then bake for another 10-15 minutes.
More Appetizers You Might Like
Crispy Homemade Popcorn Chicken
Crunchy, juicy bites of chicken inspired by KFC. This appetizer is a family favourite.Print Pin Rate
- 300 g boneless chicken cut in bite-sized pieces
- 1 teaspoon ginger garlic paste
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 tablespoon tomato ketchup
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika powder
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¾ teaspoon or to taste salt
FOR THE BATTER
- 2 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoon cornflour
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sriracha sauce
- cold milk as required
FOR THE COATING
- ¾ cup flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon grounded black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon paprika powder
- Combine all the marinade ingredients and rub over the chicken pieces. Put aside to marinate for at least 30 mins.
- Mix the flour, cornflour, baking powder and sriracha together. Add enough milk to make a batter of medium consistency.
- Season the flour with salt, black pepper and paprika.
- Pour the batter into the chicken and mix well.
- Pick one chicken piece at a time and coat well with the flour mix. Keep pressing with your fingers while you do it, this will give the flaky finish.
- Heat oil for deep-frying. Fry the chicken on medium-heat in batches, don't crowd the pan/fryer. Take out when the chicken is golden-brown and cooked through.
- Enjoy hot with your favourite dip!
Did you make this recipe?Please leave a star rating and a review in the comments. You can also tag @chilitochoc on Instagram. I love hearing your feedback!
PIN ME FOR LATER