Rubbed with a spicy peri peri seasoning, these crumbed spicy fish nuggets have a light kick of chili which is so moreish. These nuggets can be deep fried, air fried or even baked.
This recipe makes the best fish nuggets that are crispy whether you fry them, bake them or air fry them. Make them as an appetizer along with my Greek Style Potato Wedges or crispy Parmesan Crusted Potatoes or serve at a party, they are super easy and fun.
Bonus: kids love them too! If your kid doesn't like chili check my Peri Peri seasoning alternative below. And after this recipe you wouldn't feel the need to get ready-made frozen nuggets or fish sticks. These are healthier and more nutritious.
And if you are looking for chicken nuggets then I urge you to give my Crispy Homemade Popcorn Chicken a shot. You will love them!
How To Make Spicy Fish Nuggets
- Cut the fish in cubes then mix in the vinegar, peri peri seasoning, ginger garlic paste, black pepper, salt and all-purpose flour.
- Dip the fish in egg then give a good coating of panko breadcrumbs. Freeze the nuggets at this point if you want to.
- Deep-fry the fish on medium heat. See the recipe card below on instructions for air-frying ang baking.
- Serve hot with a dip of your choice.
Peri Peri Seasoning Alternative
- Peri Peri (or Piri Piri) seasoning is not Peri Peri salt.
- If you cannot find Peri Peri seasoning you can even make your own. Click here for a pretty good recipe.
- You can also use 1-2 tablespoon of Peri Peri sauce (medium or hot).
- But if you still want some simpler, non-spicy fish nuggets, just replace peri peri seasoning with the following ingredients and follow rest of the recipe as it is: ½ teaspoon paprika powder, ½ teaspoon garlic powder, ½ teaspoon cumin powder, ½ teaspoon dried oregano and ½ teaspoon white pepper.
Can You Freeze Spicy Fish Nuggets
Yes you can freeze these fish nuggets after coating them with panko breadcrumbs. They last a month in the freezer.
Which Fish To Use
I use pangasius. But you can use any white fish like catfish, tilapia or cod.
More Snack Ideas
Spicy Fish Nuggets
Seasoned with peri peri spice mix, these crispy fish nuggets are so moreish. They can be baked, deep fried or air fried.Print Pin Rate
- 300 g boneless white fish cut in cubes
- ¾ cup panko breadcrumbs
- 4 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoon milk
FOR FISH SPICE MIX
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1-2 teaspoon peri peri seasoning
- 1 teaspoon ginger garlic paste
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon crushed black pepper
- 2 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- Add vinegar, peri peri seasoning, ginger garlic paste, salt and black pepper to the fish and mix. Then sprinkle the flour and coat around.
- In one bowl mix together panko crumbs, all-purpose flour and dried parsley.
- In another bowl whisk the egg with milk.
- First dip the fish in egg mixture then coat with panko crumbs. Keep aside. You can freeze these fish nuggets at this point.
- For Deep Frying: Heat oil in a deep pot. Fry fish nuggets on medium heat till golden on each side. Drain on a paper towel.
- For Air Frying: Place the fish nuggets in a single layer in the air fryer basket. Spray with some olive oil. Air fry for 10-15 mins at 180 C till golden and crispy. Don't forget to flip midway.
- For Baking: Bake at 200C for 15-18 mins.
- Serve the fish nuggets with tartar sauce or a dip of your choice. You can also sprinkle some extra peri peri seasoning on top.
- Use crushed cornflakes or breadcrumbs if you don't have panko crumbs.
Serving: 1nugget | Calories: 46kcal | Carbohydrates: 5g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 20mg | Sodium: 109mg | Potassium: 82mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 85IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 15mg | Iron: 1mg
Did you make this recipe?Please leave a star rating and a review in the comments. You can also tag @chilitochoc on Instagram. I love hearing your feedback!
PIN IT FOR LATER