Fettuccine pasta smothered in a creamy, rich Alfredo sauce and topped with succulent strips of grilled chicken. This dreamy homemade Alfredo sauce has aromatic flavours of garlic, butter, cream and Parmesan cheese. Serve it with some garlic bread and enjoy!
What's more wonderful than a bowl of this truly indulgent Fettuccine Alfredo with Grilled Chicken?! The Alfredo pasta is so rich and creamy. And the chicken is bursting with flavours and is perfectly juicy. A heavenly yet simple dish which will be loved by everyone.
Do you know there are so many ways of making Fettuccine Alfredo? This Italian pasta dish is authentically made with only butter, pasta water and Parmesan cheese. As these ingredients emulsify they form a smooth, rich sauce. But the American way is richer and uses heavy cream. And that's how I love it too!
Funnily enough, in Pakistan, Fettuccine Alfredo is mostly made with Bechamel sauce as the base, which is a combination of milk, butter and flour. Back home, this is how I always made it but after trying the American cream version I never looked back. With Bechamel sauce, the Fettuccine Alfredo tends to get quite gloopy and thick. Whereas, using cream keeps it smooth and so much better.
Tips To Make The Best Alfredo Fettuccine
- Make sure you salt your boiling water well.
- Boil the pasta a minute less than your package instructions. The pasta is going to keep cooking in the Alfredo sauce and not only will it break but it absorbs the flavours well.
- Don't add oil to your boiling water. And time your pasta with the sauce. For best results, do not rinse pasta with water. Quickly drain it and add to your sauce. This way the sauce sticks better to it.
- If you can, I highly recommend using freshly grated Parmesan cheese. It melts better than the pre-shredded ones. You can also substitute with Grana Padano (my favourite) or Pecorino Romano.
- Reserve some pasta water. If your sauce gets too thick loosen it with that water. It's full of velvety starch and keeps the consistency of the sauce perfect.
- Use cream with high fat content. You will not require any other thickening agent as the cream will thicken as it simmers. And also avoid over-cooking the sauce.
- Serve pasta immediately! The sauce will dry out as it cools.
How To Thicken Alfredo Sauce?
Sauce made with high-fat heavy cream thickens automatically when simmered for a while and the Parmesan cheese makes it creamier. If for some reason your sauce is not thickening or you are using low-fat cream then add around a teaspoon of all-purpose flour to it.
How To Reheat Fettuccine Alfredo With Grilled Chicken?
I serve the sliced chicken on top of the pasta and not mix in. So I'd suggest storing it in a separate container. As for the pasta, as mentioned above it's best when served immediately. If you still want to store, keep it in an airtight container in the fridge for 4-5 days and then reheat slowly in a pan. Or add a splash of water and microwave for a couple of minutes.
Can You Make Fettuccine Alfredo With Grilled Chicken Ahead?
- You can make the sauce in advance and store in the fridge for three days. Just reheat it before adding to the pasta.
- You can also grill the chicken and keep in the fridge for around 3-4 days.
- As for the pasta, it's best to boil it when needed.
Vegetarian Alfredo Fettuccine
To make it vegetarian, skip the chicken and replace it with some veggies like broccoli, bell pepper, mushrooms if desired. This dish is pretty fulfilling even without chicken.
Watch How To Make It
More Pasta Recipes
- Creamy Mushroom and Spinach Pasta
- Spaghetti Aglio E Olio
- Pasta with Pesto Rosso
- Creamy Chicken Fajita Fettuccine
Fettuccine Alfredo With Grilled Chicken
- 200 g fettuccine
- 2 tbsp (25g) butter unsalted
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- 1 cup (250ml) heavy cream
- ½ teaspoon white pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon red chili flakes
- ¼ teaspoon chicken powder optional
- ½ cup (50g) Parmesan freshly shredded plus extra for topping
- ¼ - ½ cup pasta water
- 1-2 tablespoon parsley chopped
- 1 (300g) chicken breast sliced lengthwise to make two cutlets
- ⅓ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon paprika powder
- ½ teaspoon black pepper freshly cracked
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon dried Italian herbs
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- Season the chicken with salt, paprika powder, black pepper, garlic powder and Italian herbs. Leave for 20-30 mins.
- Heat olive oil in a big pan/skillet. Cook the chicken breasts on medium-high heat around 5 minutes each side till golden and cooked through. Remove and keep aside.
- Add 1 tablespoon of salt to a pot of water and bring to boil. Add your fettuccine and cook it a minute less than your package instructions.
- In the same pan where you grilled chicken, melt the butter.
- Then add the minced garlic and slightly toast it.
- Pour in the cream and bring it to a simmer.
- Add the dried oregano, red chili flakes, white pepper and chicken powder. Mix and let the cream reduce slightly on medium-low heat.
- Mix in the Parmesan cheese till it is completely melted. The sauce should be thick and creamy by now. If not, cook it a little longer.
- Drain the fettuccine, don't rinse it and add to your sauce. Lower the heat and toss it well.
- Add a few splashes of pasta water to thin out the sauce.
- Serve immediately topped with sliced grilled chicken, grated Parmesan cheese and parsley.
PIN ME FOR LATER