Expert Tips and Tricks
- Make sure the cheese is covered well with the layer of potato and there are no blank spots when you are coating with flour, eggs or breadcrumbs.
- Fry on medium heat. High temperature also causes cracks.
- For the first 3-4 minutes do not move the balls. Once the bottom of the balls forms you can turn over.
- To get an even coating and colour, keep shaking the pan so the balls are rotating.
- You can also freeze the balls 30 mins prior to frying.
- If you are still getting cracks, double coat the cheese balls with flour, eggs and breadcrumbs. This will also make them crispier.
- Swap Mozzarella with your choice of cheese. Some great options are Cheddar, Gouda, Provolone and Monterey Jack.
- Sneak in some veggies for you kids. I love adding diced carrots, bell pepper, sweet corns, spring onions, broccoli or baby spinach. Some chopped green chilies and coriander work amazingly with these too.
- Another way to amp up these already fabulous potato and cheese balls is to put in some shredded chicken.
- You can also play with the spices. Add garam masala for some heat. Or experiment with your favourite herbs like dried parsley, basil, tarragon or rosemary.
Can You Freeze Potato And Cheese Balls
These are a very freezer-friendly snack. After making them you can freeze for up to 2 months in an airtight container or ziplock bag. Don't worry about the potatoes spoiling in the freezer. Mashed potatoes do quite well after being frozen.
Watch How To Make It
Other Snacks You Might Like
Potato and Cheese Balls
- 300 g potatoes boiled
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes
- ¾ teaspoon crushed black pepper
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder
- ⅓ cup mozzarella cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoon milk
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- Mash the boiled potatoes. And then mix in salt, red chili flakes, crushed black pepper and cumin powder.
- In a bowl mix together the mozzarella cheese and oregano.
- Scoop out around 1-2 tablespoons of mashed potato, flatten it on your palm, place around a teaspoon of mozzarella filling inside and wrap the potato around it to form a ball. Smooth out the ball.
- In a shallow dish mix the breadcrumbs with salt.
- In a second bowl whisk the milk with egg.
- And in a third dish, add some plain flour.
- First coat the potato balls with the flour, then dip in the egg mixture and finally dredge it thoroughly with the breadcrumbs. Make sure your coatings are even, if you leave gaps anywhere the balls will break during frying.
- Make all the balls and keep aside. You can freeze these balls in a single layer at this stage for 2-3 weeks.
- Heat oil for deep frying. On medium heat fry these balls. For the first 3-4 mins don't touch the balls then turn over and keep shaking the pan to get an even golden colour.
- Drain excess oil on a paper towel.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
PIN ME FOR LATER