Yaki Udon is a Japanese stir fried noodles dish tossed in a savoury sauce. Just mix together udon noodles, shrimp, vegetables and the sauce and you are done within 20 minutes. This is fast, comfort food at its best!
What Is Yaki Udon
Types of Udon Noodles
How To Make Yaki Udon with Shrimp
- Cut up the vegetables. Chop and slice the mushrooms, carrot, spring onion and yellow onion. Feel free to mix and match the vegetables according to what you prefer. Some other options are bell pepper, cabbage, zucchini and broccoli.
- Boil the noodles. Depending on which type of udon noodles you are using, cook them according to the package instructions. Under-cooking is better than over-cooking since you are going to be stir-frying the noodles later.
- Prepare the sauce. In my recipes, I like to use ingredients that are easily available everywhere. If you can get hold of Japanese soy sauce and mirin replace with dark soy sauce and rice vinegar respectively. For my Yaki Udon sauce I like mixing oyster sauce, dark soy sauce, toasted sesame oil, rice vinegar, black pepper, brown sugar and a pinch of salt. Dark soy sauce is different from light or regular soy sauce. It adds the dark colour to this dish and is also less salty. I highly recommend using it.
- Stir fry the vegetables. On high heat, fry the vegetables just for a minute or two. Take out and keep aside.
- Fry the shrimp. Add a dash of soy sauce (optional for flavour) to the shrimp and cook till they are no longer pink. If you are using any other protein like chicken or beef, you might need to season it more.
- Add the udon noodles. In the same pan where you fried shrimp, add the udon noodles and crisp them on high heat for a minute or two. Then pour the sauce and toss. Combine with veggies and turn off heat.
- The toppings. Add chopped spring onion (green part). If it's easily available for you, top with bonito flakes and red ginger, they are very staple additions to the Yaki Udon.
- Serve and enjoy!
Watch How to Make It
You Might Also Like
Yaki Udon with Shrimp
- 1 pack (200g) udon noodles preferably vacuum-packed
- 2 tablespoon neutral oil
- 8-10 shrimp approx 100g
- 1 garlic minced
- 1 yellow onion sliced
- 8 white mushrooms sliced, approx 120g
- 1 carrot cut matchstick-style
- 1 spring onion green & white separately chopped
- 1 tablespoon regular soy sauce
- pinch salt and pepper
For The Sauce
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon dark soy sauce NOT regular one
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- ⅓ teaspoon freshly crushed black pepper
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- pinch salt
- Boil the udon noodles according to the package instructions. Drain and rinse with cold water. Drizzle some oil and set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a pan, toast the minced garlic for 1 minute then add the mushrooms. On high heat stir around until cooked. Then add the onions, white part of spring onions and carrots. Stir for 2-3 minutes. Sprinkle a pinch of salt and pepper and take the veggies out.
- In the same pan add additional 2 tablespoon oil and fry the shrimp. Add soy sauce and pinch of salt. Cook till the shrimp are no longer pink.
- Then add the udon noodles. Fry on high heat, stirring continuously so the noodles slightly crisp up evenly.
- Pour the sauce. Stir.
- Then toss in the veggies.
- Turn off heat and sprinkle spring onion.
- Take out in a plate and enjoy!
PIN IT FOR LATER